Our consultancy helps you to bring the very best out of your garden. Our services range from informal chats and garden walk-abouts, to detailed written reports (maintenance services can be found here). Some of our customers enjoy looking after their own gardens; our advice simply helps them to get the most from their labours. We are also happy to teach you in your own garden, furnishing you with the knowledge to keep your garden looking at its best for years to come.
- Informal chats over the phone or in your garden – we can discuss issues with existing planting, help you to identify unknown species and flesh out new ideas.
- Advise on how to develop a low maintenance garden, or adapt your existing garden to reduce maintenance in future, all whilst gardening organically and with benefit to wildlife.
- Provide written annual/organic maintenance schedules.
- Advise on how to improve your garden for wildlife and the environment.
- Teaching in your garden – we can show you how to undertake a range of garden tasks from fruit and rose pruning, to taking cuttings and splitting perennials.
- Produce comprehensive written reports. Our reports help gardeners get the most out of their space, for themselves and for wildlife. They are also highly valuable as a starting point for new gardens or when dealing with designers and landscapers who lack special expertise in organic and wildlife gardening. We will cover:
- Your garden’s aspect, average rainfall and sun hours.
- Soil pH, texture, type, organic matter content and nutrient availability with samples analysed at a specialist soil science laboratory.
- Annual plans for applying organic soil amendments to deal with nutrient or pH imbalance.
- Local hydrology and habitats typically associated with your soil type.
- Connectivity of your garden to local habitats and identification of species of special interest in the area.
- Practical adaptations to support wildlife and associated maintenance schedules.
- A discussion of possible planting schemes, thinking about ‘right plant, right place’ with reference to your soil type, aspect etc.
- Re-design existing borders and create new planting schemes.
- Advise on how to apply Permaculture Principles in your garden.
How do you charge for consultancy? Our consultancy and maintenance rates are the same. We charge hourly plus travel time for most consultancy work. The exception is for written reports where we will discuss the level of detail you would like in advance before giving you a fixed price for the report. To find out our rates, get in touch through the Contact page.
Do you undertake tree surveys, garden surveys relating to insurance and legal issues or ecological surveys? No. We are practicing horticulturists providing general advice for a garden context. For these issues and more, you should contact a relevant expert. You can find consultants on the Arboricultural Association website, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors or the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management.